How to use a leaf blower effectively without annoying your neighbours
Shortening days and the shifting colours of the leaves on the tree branches indicate the beginning of fall. It’s when the thought shifts to the amount of time you’d be spending outside sweeping up neverending stacks of leaves – but there’s a smarter method.
By investing in a decent leaf blower vacuum, you can keep your yard clean and save time for more essential or more pleasurable activities. If this makes good sense to you, here’s all you need to understand about using a leaf blower.
Be cautious; leaf blowers can annoy your neighbours as they create noise that your neighbours won’t like at all. This guide also carries tips that can help you use leaf blowers without annoying your neighbouring people too much.
How to use leaf blower safely?
Protection must be your main priority while using any kind of electric motor, and these devices are no dissimilar. Leaf blowers can kick off tree branches, trash and all sorts of other wreckage, and you have to take measures to protect yourself before you proceed using one.
While using a leaf blower, remember to use the proper protective gear. You must put a pair of necessary safety goggles for your eyes. Leaf blowers often make so much noise – particularly a gas leaf blower. Using one for prolonged times can perpetually damage your ears, so make sure you every time wear ear safeguards.
Other things that may not be necessary but are still extremely important involve a dust mask for your mouth and nose, hard gloves and non-baggy apparel. Also, do not wear any jewellery or anything else that could be grabbed in the blower.
When to use a leaf blower?
It’s crucial to choose when to pick your leaves with a blower. Due to the additional weight of water, soggy leaves are much tricky to grasp than dry fallen leaves. Piles of wet leaves could be impossible to carry with a blower. This implies that you should delay until the leaves are dry.
Try to remove your leaf on a windless day. If you can’t wait for a completely calm day, at least try when the wind is in the right direction. Blowing leaves against the wind isn’t a job you’re likely to prefer.
Be informed that blowers create a noisy and annoying sound. Don’t use it too early in the morning when your neighbours are still asleep – and you might not want to use it when your neighbour is relishing the sunny weather in his yard.
Steps to using a leaf blower
Following are the steps to use a leaf blower effectively:
1. Before you begin, you must determine where you want your heap of leaves should go. It would help to work carefully and efficiently toward that side. If you’re preparing to pick the leaves up, you can put a tarp on the surface wherever you want to blow the leaves to make it much easier to collect them all up at the end.
2. While you start working, remove leaves underneath the hedges and all along the sides of constructions first. Once those leaves are accessible, you can begin blowing all of them towards your targeted region. When operating in parallel lines together across linear lines, use a polite U-shaped sweeping movement with the blower to move the maximum number of leaves.
3. If you’re just ploughing into a wide area trying to blow leaves forward, you’ll only prosper in clearing the path by blowing leaves to the edge. The right way to do this is to blow sideways, moving up and down in lines that are perpendicular to the plane you like to move the leaves. By operating in this manner, you’ll steadily shift a load of leaves in an intended way.
4. When the leaves are nearly in the place you need them to be, start working along the outside of the leaf heaps in a circle to begin moving them to your defined targeted region. Keep working meticulously to collect all the leaves in a single colossal stack.
5. You can use all the collected leaves in compost or in making other organic fertilisers. Simply preserve those heaps by covering them with sheets. They can provide you with the best compost for most of the year.
Tips for leaf blowing
Following are a few other tips that can help you blow your leaves more effectively without upsetting your neighbourhood too much:
1. Use smooth, broad sweeps
When blowing leaves on vast areas, use wide, soft, and gentle sweeps instead of rapid and irregular motions. This will help make sure that you migrate as many leaves as feasible and that they’ll all move in the trajectory you aimed.
2. Try not to blow each leaf
If you’re trying to get every last leaf with your leaf blower, you’re going to drive yourself mad. Leaf blowers are meant to push leaves in large quantities, not to move individual leaves. Once you’ve completed the central part of the job with the leaf blower, you could take care of all the details with a speedy rake or even handpick any last leaves.
3. Select the right leaf blower
There are several different kinds of the leaf blower, such as a backpack leaf blower, that is great for heavy work, and walk behind blower, that is smarter if you do not intend to carry a backpack blower. Please ensure you select the one that is best suited to your needs.
4. For inaccessible areas, use vacuum feature
A few blowers also permit you to vacuum the leaves. This feature is nicely used to cope with narrower, more inaccessible areas. However, suppose your device has the excellent mulching ability. In that case, you can also use it to gobble and pack large amounts of leaves.
5. Work when the neighbours are not home
Leaf blowers create annoying noise that can disturb your neighbours. To avoid such problems with your neighbourhood, you’re advised to not use the leaf blower in the early mornings, or evening times, when your neighbours are at home. Consider blowing leaves when your neighbours are outside home for the job or any other trip.
A leaf blower can save you a tremendous amount of work. Still, if you don’t understand how and when to use it, you can create a further mess in your garden and may offend your neighbourhood as well. If you’re a leaf-blowing newbie curious to know where to start, just implement our recommendations, and you’ll master these methodologies in no time.
Why choose Must Have Maintenance?
At Must Have Maintenance, we pride ourselves in providing our clients with the best and most comprehensive range of garden maintenance services. As Melbourne’s top-rated gardening company, we’ve worked hard to ensure our clients can enjoy a beautiful and healthy garden all year round.
Our seamless process allows you to quickly sign up for maintenance through our website. We’re always happy to have a chat and assist you with any questions or concerns you might have. Click here to speak to one of our friendly team members.
Sign up for maintenance
Let our friendly team of highly experienced professionals make your lawn and gardens the talking point of your street!